The establishment of the museum in
The first year of the existence of the museum. Initially, the public was granted access to the exhibition on just two days a week during the season from April to October. Right from the first year of its existence, individual enthusiasts and also associations presented the museum with gifts which formed the basis of the collections, research activities and presentation of the museum. In 1869 the museum’s collection comprised as many as 1200 items, of which the most prized dated from the 13th century. From 1888, the museum was partly subsidised from the city budget.
Jozef Könyöki. He became the first curator (1832-1900). As can be seen from the then current periodicals and archive records the establishment of the museum was welcomed with enthusiasm by
The contribution of Jozef Könyöki. He was the museum’s first curator. He installed the first exhibition and designed projects for the reconstruction of the historical rooms in the town hall in
Ovidius Faust. In 1923 the Bratislava City Scientific Institutes were established. They were created by combining the museum, archive and library into one unit. The museum headquarters came under the administration of the city magistrate. The institute was headed by Ovidius Faust (1896 - 1972) for 22 years. He was a remarkable personality of the museum and also in history.
Searching for its identity. In 1953 the Bratislava Scientific Institutes were closed down and the museum became an independent institution under the control of the Central National Committee of Bratislava. The early 50’s marked a period of searching for a suitable place for this oldest cultural museum institution within the structure of cultural institutions. The short period from 1959 to 1961 can be characterised as the period of the establishment of the National History Institute of Bratislava, of which the museum became a part.
Šimon Jančo. In 1963 the museum became an independent institution with Šimon Jančo (Doctor of Philosophy) as its director. Over 34 years he gradually created a museum provided with all the necessary technical equipment, staff and new premises for exhibitions.
Peter Hyross. Since June 1997 Peter Hyross (Doctor of Philosophy) has held the position of director of the museum. During this time the museum has experienced major changes, the most important priorities being the reconstruction of Devín Castle, the restoration of Ancient Gerulata in Rusovce close to Bratislava, the reconstruction of Apponyi Palace and the establishment of two new museums – Arthur Fleischmann Museum and the Museum of Historical Interiors and, also, the preparation for the reconstruction of the Old Town Hall and a new storage facility for the BCM/MMB on Ivánska cesta in Bratislava.